Sunday, March 2, 2008

ENGLISH = COOL AND FUNKY

How do you answer question "How are you?" in your daily conversation?
It must be "Fine" or "I'm not too fine". Sound standard? Yeah, that's
a standard answer and sound "kurang gaul", right? But, just try to answer the
same question with these expressions:
1. I'm as fit as fiddle = saya baik / sangat sehat
2. I'm finely tunned = saya baik / sangat sehat
3. I'm fighting fit = saya baik / sangat sehat
4. I'm in good shape = saya baik / sangat sehat
5. I'm little bit under weather = saya kurang enak badan
6. So - so = saya kurang enak badan
7. Off color = saya kurang enak badan

That expressions are called SLANG and commonly used in Australia. So, to answer
question "How are you?" we can not only answer with "Fine" or "I'm not too fine".
And, "How are you?" itself can be replaced with:
1. How are you doing? --> commonly used in America
2. What's up? --> commonly used in America too
3. Howdy? --> commonly used in Australia

So, howdy guys? I'm as fit as fiddle!

No comments: