Saturday, March 22, 2008

I CAN!

The classic problem of our students in practicing English is their self confidence. Basically, they can speak and they understand with what a teacher says. But, in fact, they often say "I can't sir". So, how should a teacher ensure the students that actually they can speak in English? I have an idea that can be applied as continuous program at school: ask your students to write the sentences that they think they know well and they can use them in their daily conversation. It doesn't matter if they write:
- I love you
- I like wearing my black jacket
- My favorite TV program is music concert
- etc.
The most important thing is, that you may not force your students to write a particular sentence, topic, or the number of sentences that they should write. Just ask them to write sentences or expressions that they know well, everyday, after they get home. Maybe they will write 3 or 4 sentences only. It doesn't matter. Let them express what they know. So, ask them to have a special book for this exercise.
Then, you should collect the books to check their work. Maybe you will collect them once a week, in the end of month, or in the end of running semester. Of course, you will find that your students can write hundreds of sentences. After that, show them the result: they can write hundreds of sentences. How fantastic! And then, ask them to repeat after you: "I CAN!". (By: Khadis, junior instructor of SPEC).

No comments: